Throw a cast in each one:

personID="{YourClassThatHasPersonIDAndOtherDesiredProperties(
employee.currentItem).PersonID}"

It's giving you that warning because 'employee.currentItem' is a POO (plain
ol' Object).

I'm doing the same thing on current project, and instead of setting all
those properties, my component in the repeater has a VO that it binds to,
internally, so I do something like:

<mx:Repeater id="employee" dataProvider="{directReportCollection}">
   <v:employeeElement
        itemVO="{ItemVO(employee.currentIndex)}"
    />
</mx:Repeater>

As long as directReportCollection is collection of ItemVO's (or whatever),
you're golden. Then, your empEl can get all those properties off ItemVO,
which has a nice, tidy interface defined...

;) Scott