Ok I'll chime in here since I use FDS with Cairngorm. Examples taken from the
first Flex 2.0 app we built.

First off we initialize the DS in the model that it relates too:

public class ConsumerModel {

   public var consumerDS:DataService;

   public function ConsumerModel() {
     consumerDS = new DataService( "consumerDS" );
     consumerDS.autoCommit = false;
     // set other properties first

Then in the commands that we need to, we use the DS to perform the operations
that the command requires, as an example update:

public class SaveConsumerCmd {

   public function execute( event:CairngormEvent ):void {
     var token:AsynToken = ConsumerModel.getInstance().consumerDS.commit();
     token.addResponders( this );

Now the examples are simple, but working with a DataService and a RemoteObject
is different. So I don't use delegates, but because u can set responders for
each operation, thus u can have every command handle each DataService operation
as it sees fit.

Hope that helps,

Dimitrios Gianninas
Optimal Payments Inc.