I'd like to hear some thoughts about paging implementation on Flex
DataGrid.

The server side implementation isn't a problem - I have a paging
routine that fetches chunks of data from a database. This paging
works ok with asp.net.

But, with changing the client-side technology to Flex, I would not
like to have a "classic web grid" with page numbers above ( 1 - 2 -
3 - ..etc ) I'd rather like to move from this web-like paging to a
more Windows-like paging, e.g. have a DataGrid with a scroller that
changes it's height regarding on the percent of currently displayed
records.

My idea is to:
1) count a total number of records in the database table
2) fill a datagrid with "blank" records (e.g. containing a
label "Loading...")
3) regarding on the scroller position, update the dataProvider
item's that have to be displayed on-screen

I assume that this method tends to be both memory and processor
consuming. So I'd like to hear a better idea. :-)

ps. Does some Flex "DataGrid with paging" implementation already
exist?

Thanks for answers!