Could you post the code of the problem?  I think I understand the
problem but I need to see what you are doing to help with the solution.

I understand the background in front of things now, but I don't think
that it was the wrong way to code chrome.  It fits too narrow a use case.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schmalle"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Paul > I'm not really sure what that is all about, Background isn't
chrome
> it
> is background. Children need to be in front of background.
>
> I have a spec where I need another background behind the view
children and
> in front of the border.
>
> Trust me, I have 1000's of hours of investigation into this. This
applies if
> you are doing low level coding in the framework.
>
> Not to mention, when the container holds more then 1 view child, the
> children get put into a content pane. It is impossible to get something
> behind child 0 without using this hack.
>
> Jesse,
>
> with the text area, after removing it from the display list did you set;
>
> textField = null;
>
> ??
>
> Peace, Mike
>
> On 3/11/07, Jesse Warden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   Grr... works for everything but my Label.  Keeps whining about
antiAlias
> > being null.  Had this happen last night (this morning?) when the
TextField
> > isn't in the DisplayList, but gets measure called on 'em.  Fuggit,
> > everything else works; thanks a bunch Michael!
> >

> > On 3/11/07, Jesse Warden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Michael, I'll try your code.
> > >
> > > Paul, if you look in mx.containers.Container, you can see how they
> > > override and abstract the DisplayList API so that you have 2
types of
> > > children; raw and regular.  This allows you to have "those you
put in
> > > Canvas" and "those that make Panel".  For example, the title
bar, close
> > > button, title, etc. are NOT something you want inside your Panel
container
> > > to interact with your children.  If you put a CheckBox control
into a Panel,
> > > you would expect only 1 child to be in your container (numChildren,
> > > getChildAt(0), etc.).  This allows you to build container
components for
> > > others to use without "knowing" how your child setup works.

over-writting of