Kevin:

I dont' use AMFPHP so I can't specifically help you with that situation, but
to your first question:  I would recommend figuring out a way to get your
PHP DateTypes to automatically transfer to Date type's in Flex.  I went down
both roads (Date and String in flex) and found that there is a Date Type in
Flex for a reason.  It makes your life easier when dealing with Dates,
especially comparing, sorting and performing Date arithmetic.  So my
recommendation would be to make the extra effort to get your Object to
transfer correctly typed properties...

Sam