--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "lostinrecursion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Evening folks,
>
> I finished reading a chapter in the new book, RIAs with Flex and
Java.
> Specifically, I was reading Chapter 11: Advanced Datagrid which
> introduces the concept of a destination aware component which
contains
> calls to a remote object embedded in the extended component's MXML
code.

> Although the destination and method are passed to the component in
> compile time attributes, this smells of not only tight coupling of
> components - but totally ignoring good OOP practice and mixing the
> business and presentation tiers. Add to that the fact that now the
> dataProvider can only have the one view, the actual grid to which it
> is set.
>
> Can someone point out what I am missing here or make any points why
my
> thoughts are incorrect?
>
> So far, it's a great book but that chapter really threw me off.
>
> -Kenny/LIR

I'm not sure that's that's ignoring good OOP practice but it
certainly does mix the business and presentation tiers.

I have been doing this since Flex 1.5 for the ComboBox, List,
DataGrid and Tree components.  I first extended each these to create
generic components that implement Flash Remoting, some standard
contextmenus, drag and drop, security/privilege checking and dispatch
events when remoting calls return.  Then I extend these and point the
RemoteObject source to the specific CFC that retrieves the data from
the database.

For instance I have a RemotingComboBase class that extends the
ComboBox class and I have an EmployeeComboBox class that extends the
RemotingComboBase.  I have several applications that need to use an
EmployeeComboBox, so when I need one I just have to drag it onto the
form and go on to the next component.  I also have an EmployeeList
class when I want to display a list of employees.  Both of these
components have their RemoteObject source pointed at the same CFC.
Obviously if I'm using both of these components on the same form I am
retrieving and storing this information twice but it's worth it to me
for the ease and speed of development that I've gained.  Also I don't
normally have the need to display the same data in different views
within the same application.

I don't view this as much different than the Flex example of a
StateComboBox that always displays a list of hardcoded US states.

Maury