I read it earlier.

Its hard to say exactly why it fails.
There are a few ways it can happen. But i dont think there is a limit to the amount of bindings in an application.

You can use the debugger to see when databinding fails. Usually you will eventually step into the databinding error handling method.

1 cause of Binding failing can be when your destination has been removed.

I guess if you can find ways of optimizing bindings than perhaps it may be worth writing your own.
Plus you can always use whats existing as a reference.

Mind you i have yet to implement my own version of Binding yet, but i dont believe it will be too difficult.