Scott,

This is all FUD.  You contributed a lot to the Flex community for years,
but the below is just so off-base.

a) Flex 1.0 and 1.X did not "crash and burn".  It was one of the most
successfull new product introductions in the history of the company. It
was a 1.X product, and it wasn't perfect, and in particular in advance
of the new VM the performance was not where any of us wanted it yet at
that time.  That said, it still was a massive advance, did very well,
and many people (not everyone) were very successfull with it.  As soon
as we had the performance issues nailed with the new VM, we broadened
the strategy with the free FlexSDK and FlexBuilder 2.  That was (IMO)
the right order of operations.  You mileage may vary, but Flex is taking
off beautifully.

b) Our strategy is clear.  The FlexSDK is free and can work with any
backend you choose--directly via XML, JSON, WebServices, or one of many
implementations of AMF.

c) We are building an enterprise server product line as well.  It isn't
intended for everyone.  But it has tremendous value for use cases where
it it relevent and it is also very successfull.  It is clear you are not
interested in it yourself, which is fine.  Others are.  We--Adobe--will
continue to do our best to build great products and if we do people will
use them. If that is a "conspiracy" I don't get it.

d) Many applications have documents/forms as inputs, outputs, artifacts.
Being able to integrate in a deep way with documents, using PDF (an ISO
standard) can be very valuable.  Some of the use cases I have seen
lately include health and benefits enrollment, tax submissions, mortgage
loan origination, insurance claims processing, corrospondence
management, field service management, new account opening, clinical
trial management, new drug submissions, grant applications, etc etc.  I
could go on, but the combination of Flex and LiveCycle (and PDF) enables
some very powerfull and seamless applications that create better
experiences, reduce costs, improve compliance, etc. I am not sure what
is controversial here for you--these apps exist whether they are of
interest to you or not.  If you aren't interested, so be it. There is no
tight coupling with Flex which is free.  There is not now nor has there
ever been a conspiracy. Whether many people or a few people are
interested in LiveCycle is not really an metric that matters to the
success of Flex and I am not sure what you are trying to prove.

I trust one day you will come back to the fold -;)  We'll keep working
on advancing Flex and Flash Player and Apollo in the meantime--no
conspiracies.

-David