Nate:

If you don't want to extend Tree and override dragEnterHandler, then
here's something else to try.

In the tree instance's dragEnter handler, add some data with the
format "treeItems" like so:

var obj:Object = new Object();
event.dragSource.addData(obj,"treeItems");

It may seem klugey, but it works.

-Jim