Manish Jethani wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Troy Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I think the best solution for Flash would be to introduce a first-class
>> thread object. That way developers could spawn long-lasting tasks to a
>> separate thread.
>>

> If threading is introduced in the player, much of the Flex framework
> might have to be made thread-safe (as would any other Flash
> framework/lib/app out there). Currently all the code assumes there's
> only one thread of execution.
>
> My take is, if the task is too long/complicated, get it done on the
> server. Let's keep the player simple, please.

I agree.  For the most part Flash/Flex is a user interface.

I also think that it's a great idea to do processing in Flash, but we
have to think differently.  People might think I'm crazy but I think
that the way we need to think here is similar to how developers need to
start thinking to take advantage of multi-core/multi-processor
machines.  We need to break large tasks up into independent chunks that
can be run from a queue.  In the Flash world that queue will run
sequentially, but in other applications they could be run in parallel.
I may be getting off-topic with that. Bottom line is we can't really
compare Flash to Java or C#.

Paul