First - go ahead and read all six parts of Steven Webster's article. It is
written at a high enough level that there's not much version-dependent
information in it, and it's a very good introduction.

Next - there's a neat tutorial that walks you through the steps of designing
a Cairngorm app. It helps you to start thinking in Cairngorm:
http://www.digimmersion.com/support/Flex%20UI%20Design%20For%20Cairngorm.pdf

Third - I think you're on the right track to dig in to the examples. The
Cairngorm Store is very helpful.

Finally - start building something! It's the best way to learn.

HTH

Jim

  _____