Using the inbuilt event dispatching system is your best bet.
That way you can have your parent(s) and child(s) loosely coupled.

There are particular design patterns that also deal with this issue.
Personally i like the combination of DataBinding, ModelLocator (Singleton) and Commands, ala Cairngorm :)

Bjorn