From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Austin
Kottke
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:23 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Flex cookbook article: Flex2 XML Reader Can Create
UIComponents

Ely,

I find runtime MXML something that would be invaluable.

It is something that if implemented could make developing in flex a lot more
scaleable and integration with the server end would be a lot more feasible. (As
in doing HTTPRequests where serverside MXML could be generated through
Velocity/JSP and then given back to the ui) A lot of developers don't know a
thing about flex, but can learn basic MXML for layout or simple scripting and
implement basic server side operations.
And if these are kept just as mxml it makes updates in the future easier. We
can then just tell someone (edit the MXML) and you're done, instead of
"download the flex sdk, set your ant build, yada ya" -- some aren't
programmers, but MXML is very easy to learn. It's a lot more confrontable for a
designer/layout guy to tackle.

Anyway, runtime MXML would be something that would majorly increase scalability
and integration with servers - similar to the Apache IIS mod for JSP, etc - the
only problem is that it's just for Apache or IIS.
Some run tomcat, resin, etc. But having it on the client end would eliminate
this problem.

Best, austin

Ely Greenfield wrote:

> Austin et. al. –
>
> There are a number of features of MXML that simply can’t be replicated
> at runtime. Things like script blocks. Other features would be
> prohibitively difficult (arbitrary binding expressions, @Embed,
> mx:Component, among others). You could reduce MXML to a
> runtime-parsable subset, and I know various people have taken various
> approaches to this. The more you reduce it, the easier it would be to
> replicate…removing repeaters, implicit arrays, default properties,
> etc. would get you down to something that could be implemented in a
> reasonable amount of time.
>
> I’m curious…how many people would find runtime MXML to be important to
> them?
>
> Ely.

WARNING
-------
This electronic message and its attachments may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information, which is solely for the use of
the intended recipient.  No privilege or other rights are waived by any
unintended transmission or unauthorized retransmission of this message.  If you
are not the intended recipient of this message, or if you have received it in
error, you should immediately stop reading this message and delete it and all
attachments from your system.  The reading, distribution, copying or other use
of this message or its attachments by unintended recipients is unauthorized and
may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender.

AVIS IMPORTANT
--------------
Ce message électronique et ses pièces jointes peuvent contenir des
renseignements confidentiels, exclusifs ou légalement privilégiés destinés au
seul usage du destinataire visé.  L’expéditeur original ne renonce à aucun
privilège ou à aucun autre droit si le présent message a été transmis
involontairement ou s’il est retransmis sans son autorisation.  Si vous n’êtes
pas le destinataire visé du présent message ou si vous l’avez reçu par erreur,
veuillez cesser immédiatement de le lire et le supprimer, ainsi que toutes ses
pièces jointes, de votre système.  La lecture, la distribution, la copie ou
tout autre usage du présent message ou de ses pièces jointes par des personnes
autres que le destinataire visé ne sont pas autorisés et pourraient être
illégaux.  Si vous avez reçu ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez en
aviser l’expéditeur.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: