--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Ralf Bokelberg"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The syntax looks ok. I guess it is either a timing problem
> (the locateString is not set, when you try to build your SQL)
> or a scope problem (locateString is hidden by a local variable
> of the same name)
>
> Maybe you can show us more of the context?
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf.

Here's the function that I use the statement in:

private function nominalLocateRequest():void

        {

           connectServer();

           try

           {
                        CursorManager.setBusyCursor();
                        nominalSearchMessage.text = "Searching . . . .";
                        var sql:String = "SELECT * FROM flexing_nominal WHERE
(account = '" + locateString + "')";
                        Alert.show(sql, 'sql is:');
                        nominalArrayResult = new
ArrayCollection(mySQLServer.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM
flexing_nominal WHERE (account = '" + locateString +"')"));
                        nominalSearchMessage.text = "";

           }

                catch (e:SSPError)
                {
                        errorMessage = e.message;
                        errorType = e.name;
                        errorCode = e.errorCode.toString();
                        Alert.show(
                        "Error Message: "
                        + errorMessage +
                        "\n"
                        + errorType +
                        "\n"
                        + errorCode,
                        'Grower Search Error:'
                        );
                }

                disconnectServer();
            nominalSearchGrid.selectedIndex = 0 ;
                CursorManager.removeBusyCursor();
                nominalSearchGrid.setFocus();
        }

(The MySQL stuff is Janus MS SQL connection stuff - I'm testing the
1.5 Beta)
I popped in the Alert to help me debug. A textInput with
text-"{locateString}"  shows the correct string which should be
passed. The alert box showed that the SQL request query was being
passed a null.

Many thanks for looking.