no luck.. heres what i did..

public function wheelStop():void{
myTextArea.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_WHEEL,
mouseWheelHandler);
}

public function mouseWheelHandler(event:MouseEvent):void{
event.stopImmediatePropagation();
}

and I called wheelStop() in the creationComplete function and also
tried it in mouseWheel & scroll in the TextArea, none worked..

also tried myTextArea.addEventListener(ScrollEvent.SCROLL,
mouseScrollHandler);

public function mouseWheelHandler(event:ScrollEvent):void{
event.stopImmediatePropagation();
}

am i doing something wrong?