Hey Alex,

As mentioned -- I did try that (using the code from your blog), even
using a labelFunction instead of dynamically detecting the on/off: it
was still about the same speed.  The performance hit is somewhere else
deep inside DataGrid.  I've spent many hours researching performance
of my DataGrid as a whole, but at the end of the day I don't know
enough of Flex internals to debug it. Just seems no one has really
tried to stretch DataGrid as far as I wanted it to go :)

I did have luck with my alternate method... I've just moved the scroll
bar to the left, and now I'm scrolling the container itself.  It might
be a nice feature to think about for future versions of Flex to toggle
scrolling to dynamically generating renderers vs scrolling a clipped
area.

-Kyle