Hi Ben or anyone else who would like to help,

I tried to incorporate your suggestions, but I think I still am
missing the whole idea about an array collection.

in one part of my code, I have done the following

for each (var item:XML in locationData){
var ff:formField = new formField();
ff.labelText = item..callLocation_DisplayName;
ff.callLocationId = item..callLocation_id;
ff.allowableDataFlag = item..deptCategory;
ff.callSelectedDate = mysqlDate.format(calendarSelector.selectedDate);
callLabelCollection.addItem(ff);
addChild(ff);
}

This runs through the loop a total of 16 times to build my array
collection.

Now in a custom event handler, when the user selects a given date, I
query a new table to determine who is scheduled in any of these 16
locations on the selected date.

What I need to do now is to set another parameter of the custom
component based on the callLocationId that I set in my array collection.

So for this I have 2 questions

1) how do I access the array at a given callLocationId from the array
collection above?

for this I have tried

var someFF:formField =
callLabelCollection.getItemIndex(item..callLocation_id) as formField;

but am not getting any results

and

2) how do I now add additional fields to this array to the array
collection?

Thanks for any help

Don