I have a Flex 2.0 app that has to open a URL used to "configure" a
shopping cart item. When finished configuring an item and you return
to Flex, Flex calls a web service to retrieve the item configuration
and all is good.

Currently, I'm opening a new browser window using navigateToURL()
with "_blank" for the target.  This presents a couple of problems:

1) When the item configuration is done and the window is closed
(using Javascript) I get the annoying "The webpage you are using is
trying to close the window" and you have to verify that you want to
close the window.

2) I don't have any good way to detect the window was closed and then
fire off the web service to get the item configuration -- I basically
have to wait for the user to do something back in the Flex app that
causes an event to fire that I can trigger on. (I'm currently using
the focusOut event of the Quantity field in the item data grid, but
there's no guarantee the user will click/tab into a quantity field
and then back out after configuring an item...)

So, does anyone know of a way I could open a new window/url for the
item configuration, but then return to the Flex app without the "Do
you want to close this window?" dialog box AND in a way that would
fire a Flex event I can use to trigger the web service call?

I don't have any control over the "item configuration" URL/code --
it's a 3rd party application I'm integrating with...

Thanks in advance for any insight/help!