In my previous job, I created Swing apps for 5 years before I switched to
Flex in January. Belive you me - creating GUI in Flex is so much faster than
in Java (Swing).

As for using Java on the serverside, that's a great choice, IMHO.

Use whatever you want on the serverside, PHP/CF/Java/Ruby .. but make sure
you choose Flex as the clientside if you're doing something more than HTML
;-)

Bjørn

--

http://www.juicability.com - flex blog