Thanks for the input, however with little success.
Adding the effect to showEffect gives nothing. If I recall correctly
showeffect is triggered by clicking the object when it's inside a
viewstack.

However listening to the childAdd brought me to the following idea.
At the end of me creationCompleteHandler I have put the following:
    callLater(function():void{popup.play([this])});

This gives me the same error as listening to the addChildEvent, being
the following:

TypeError: Error #1006: dispatchEvent is not a function.
        at mx.effects::EffectInstance/play()
        at mx.effects.effectClasses::MoveInstance/play()
        at mx.effects::EffectInstance/startEffect()
        at mx.effects.effectClasses::ParallelInstance/play()
        at mx.effects::EffectInstance/startEffect()
        at mx.effects::Effect/play()
        at MethodInfo-3081()
        at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
        at mx.core::UIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher2()
        at mx.core::UIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher()

--Johan