Thanks Paul, that's GREAT information.
If URL-rewriting is "a pain" and only works "in some cases"... I'm not
really sold on it, especially since I believe it would take an act of
congress for our IT folk to set it up on the server.

Sending a token seems to me to be a much more manageable idea, since I
could set it all up myself and I'd be in charge of my own destiny.

But I am a little confused. You mention having another request to grab
a token. How does *that* request get authenticated? And once the token
is acquired, doesn't it need to be sent in the upload request in a
specific header to establish that it's authenticated? How is that
possible?

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
-Carl