Paul,

apologies however languages such as C# include such a directive already - its not "reducing" readability at all - in reality I'm wondering if this is remotely possible in Flex. The issue I'm wondering about is that if you wrote the code below....

var object:Object = new Object();

With (object) {
        x = 20;
        trace("trap the app in debug here");
}

and placed a breakpoint on the trace line - you'll note several things - 1) 'x' is defined as a variable of type Number (no var declaration which I didn't think possible) and outside of the scope of 'object' 2) object does not have a variable 'x'.

How is it shown that 'x' is part of 'object' rather than an external variable ?

In C#, the With statement is enacted in that properties of a object declared in the With construct are referenced in the following manner.

With (object) {
        .x = 20;
}

Note the '.' !