I am considering flex for building data centric applications for use over the
lan or internet. I have some experience with .net and am curious to hear
from other that are familiar with .net and how it compares. I have read a
couple of times that Visual Studio might be considered 'ahead' of Flex
Builder. But my #1 interest is being able to wire up sql databases to the ui
in the simplest manner possible, ie not a ton of code.

For experiments with flex, I would most like to take apart a tutorial or
sample app that does standard db crud stuff, with multiple forms, related
tables, data entry, that sort of thing. Can someone point me to the best
example app of this type? Most demo apps I've seen are not mostly about
crud.

>From what I've read, flex data services (or whatever it's been renamed as)
has a free version that is ok to use for commercial purposes, though
non-clustered. Not sure what the other limitations of the free version are?

I've read about Cairngorm, but am not really sure were it fits into the flex
scheme.

Finally, would it be good to start with Flex 3 beta 2, or should I stick
with Flex 2 for now?