Hi Raf,

item.modelns::name.text(); is a way of accessing the variable
name.text() in another namespace (item.modelns). This is far more
complicated than it needs to be.

An example:
_______________________
components/Example.mxml
-----------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Canvas xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
  initialize="init()">

  <mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
      import mx.controls.Text;
      public var generatedChildren:Dictionary;

      private function init():void
      {
        generatedChildren = new Dictionary();
        var child:Text = new Text();
        child.text = "I am created dynamically";
        this.addChild(child);
        generatedChildren["childID"] = child;
      }
    ]]>
  </mx:Script>

</mx:Canvas>
_________
main.mxml
---------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
  xmlns:cc="components.*" creationComplete="cComplete()">

  <mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
      import mx.controls.Text;

      private function cComplete():void
      {
        (test.generatedChildren["childID"] as Text).text = "Text from
main";
      }
    ]]>
  </mx:Script>

  <cc:Example />

</mx:Application>
So once you create/add a child in your own component, you add it to
the dictionary as follows:
    generatedChildren["childID"] = child;
Then, in any other part you can just use generatedChildren["childID"]
to retrieve the object assigned to it.

Hope this helps,
--Johan

P.S. Note that the example is invented while writing this post, so
untested and maybe with typo's and such, however I believe this should
work ;)

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Rafael Faria"