So things are half-working.  I say half-working because they work but
they give me an error when I compile.

switching a viewstack in the nested mxml app is done like this in my code:

viewstack in main file is called "mainscreens"
inside that viewstack are two <fr> tags

so it looks like this:

<mx:ViewStack id=mainScreens >
<fr:appOne id="appOne" />
<fr:appTwo id="appTwo" />
</mx:ViewStack>

If I try and change a viewstack that's in appOne, called 'myView', I
do this (based on advice earlier in this thread):

click = "mainScreens.myView.selectedChild = screen2;"

If try to run this app I get an error that says:

"1119:Access of possibly undefined property myView through a reference
 with static type mx.containers:ViewStack"

BUT IT WORKS!  If I ignore the error and run the app, the code works.

????

But I get the error every time I compile and I think it's messing up
other things below it in the program.