Easier if your run.as is just a class.  This is how I do that (notice
the applicationComplete in the mx:Application tag - it calls the init()
function):

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute"
  applicationComplete="init()" backgroundColor="0xFFFFFF">
 <mx:Script>
  <![CDATA[

   import src.DrawCircle; //import an Actionscript class

   private function init():void
   {
    var circle:DrawCircle = new DrawCircle(20, 20, 50);
   }

  ]]>
 </mx:Script>
</mx:Application>

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
L&LD GT&O
eTools & Multimedia Research & Development