I just discovered what looks like another, related bug.

A web service response containing arrays marshals correctly under Flex
2, but under Flex 3 Beta 2 returns 'null's in the 1st array encountered
in the response.

I've opened yet another bug about this one:
"Web service array marshalled correctly in Flex 2 not marshalled in Flex
3"
https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-13968
So now I'm between a rock and a hard place.  I have a set of web
services that use arrays in requests and in responses.  Flex 2 doesn't
handle response arrays.  And Flex 3 is WORSE because it's not handling
request OR response arrays correctly.