yeah that is what I thought too but to properly implement the
IfocusManagerComponent dont i just add it to the class declaration?

like so:

import mx.managers.IFocusManagerComponent;

public class ColoredScheduleEntry extends SimpleScheduleEntry
             implements IScheduleEntry,IFocusManagerComponent

everywhere I have looked that is what the example tells you to do and
it should work but it doesnt at all because its an object and not a UI
component?
So, i believe i have to convert each object to an item using
ItemRenderer and then it should be focus-able?
this is all just logic in my head though, i am sure there are other
ways (or if I just implemented it wrong which would save me more
headaches)