Well, color me totally confused. I have no idea what I did but now it
works (Although I still do not see any focus events; But I don't need
those right now).

Here is the pared down code which works...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute" creationComplete="init()">
        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        import flexmdi.events.MDIManagerEvent;
                        import flexmdi.managers.MDIManager;
                        import flexmdi.containers.MDIWindow;

                        private function init():void
                        {
                                var win1:MDIWindow = new MDIWindow();
                                win1.width = win1.height = 300;
                                win1.title = "Window One";
                                var win2:MDIWindow = new MDIWindow();
                                win2.width = win2.height = 300;
                                win2.title = "Window Two";

                                MDIManager.global.add(win1);
                                MDIManager.global.add(win2);

MDIManager.global.addEventListener(MDIManagerEvent.WINDOW_FOCUS_START,
windowEventHandler);

MDIManager.global.addEventListener(MDIManagerEvent.WINDOW_FOCUS_END,
windowEventHandler);

MDIManager.global.addEventListener(MDIManagerEvent.WINDOW_DRAG_START,
windowEventHandler);

MDIManager.global.addEventListener(MDIManagerEvent.WINDOW_DRAG_END,
windowEventHandler);
                        }

                        private function windowEventHandler(event:Event):void
                        {
                                if(event is MDIManagerEvent)
                                {
                                        var mgrEvent:MDIManagerEvent = event as
MDIManagerEvent;
                                        trace(mgrEvent.window.title + "
MDIManagerEvent: " + event.type);
                ]]>
        </mx:Script>
</mx:Application>

If I move both of the windows, this is what is output...

Window Two MDIManagerEvent: windowDragStart
Window Two MDIManagerEvent: windowDragEnd
Window One MDIManagerEvent: windowDragStart
Window One MDIManagerEvent: windowDragEnd