If you need to create really small SWFs for something then you can create an
ActionScript project and use only Flash core classes/APIs.  This isn't good
if you're doing any kind of real application, but it can be helpful if you
need to make some kind of tiny swf.  For example, we use a small SWF that is
nothing more than only line of code that sends data received via FlashVars
out over a local connection.  This swf is under 300 _bytes_.  I'm also
working on an HTML project that I am going to leverage Flash's clipboard
functionality and will use a similar AS-only SWF.

If you need a real Flex app then keep in mind that Flex is not really made
to produce an app with a simple title window and a button.  It shines for
larger applications with many screens and provides a very rich and stateful
client.  In those types of applications, the size of the SWF is a tiny
fraction of what the total html/css/images/javascript would be of a
comparable HTML app and AMF calls will be a fraction of the data that would
be sent as JSON in an AJAX app.

So in short, while framework caching that others mentioned is great new
feature in Flex 3 that will make SWF sizes smaller, I think the problem
itself is deceptive 'cause you get the hit at once up front and new
developers don't realize that it is the entire hit, once loaded, you're
pretty much done, unlike an HTML app that constantly is sending lots of new
pages or even an AJAX app that is sending JSON which is a lot heavier than
AMF.

HTH,

Sam

We're Hiring! Seeking a passionate developer to join our team building Flex
based products. Position is in the Washington D.C. metro area. If interested
contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  _____