Hello,
   I got it to work.  I had to change the e4x expression a little to get
it to work.  I needed to qualify the ID with the namespace.  So this
code works:
var xml:XML = new XML(inputXML.text);
var ns:Namespace = xml.namespace();
trace(xml.namespace());
var filterdXML:XMLList = new XMLList(xml..ns::folder.(ns::id == 13));
outputXML.text = filterdXML.toXMLString();

Notice the ns:id == 13.

So, now that I got it working, I'd still like to get it working with the
following syntax so I dont have to add namespace aliases to my e4x:
private namespace ns="http://....";
use namespace ns
Thanks for any suggestions on taking this further.

xmlns:com="http://www.directTestmarketing.com/ws/schemas/communicationHi\
\
> erarchyService">
>
> ( added the :com).
>
> I'm still not considering my situation fixed, though.   I'd like to be
> able to get at the default namespace.
>
> Thanks,
> Todd
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "fourctv" fourctv@ wrote:
> >
> > try this:
> >
> >   var xml:XML = new XML(inputXML.text);   // get the xml
> >                 var ns:Namespace = xml.namespace();      // extract
> the default namespace
> >   trace('folder13:',xml..ns::folder.(id ==13));  // use it in the
E4X