Hi all,
The following shorter code renders the dataGrid, but without data.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute" creationComplete="dvdData.send()">
<mx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
                import mx.rpc.events.*;
                import mx.collections.*;
                import mx.controls.*;
                [Bindable]private var dvdCollection:ArrayCollection;

                private function dvdCollectionHandler(evt:ResultEvent):void
                {
                        dvdCollection = evt.result.dvdCollection.dvd;
                }
        ]]>
</mx:Script>
        <mx:HTTPService id="dvdData" url="assets/dvdCollection.xml"
result="dvdCollectionHandler(event)" />

        <mx:DataGrid x="56" y="250" width="950"
dataProvider="{dvdCollection}" />
</mx:Application>

--------------DVD Collection------------------
dvdCollection.xml

<dvdCollection>
    <dvd>
       <title>Pulp Fiction</title>
          <genre>Crime/Drama<genre>
          <rating>R</rating>
          <actors>John Travolta,Sam Jackson</actors>
          <directors>Lawrence Bender</directors>
          <plot>Gangsters, Boxers and Dancing</plot>
    </dvd>
    <dvd>
       <title>The Professional</title>
          <genre>Crime/Drama<genre>
          <rating>R</rating>
          <actors>Jean Reno, Natalie Portman</actors>
          <directors>Luc Besson</directors>
          <plot>Assassin Becomes a Nanny</plot>
    </dvd>

</dvdCollection>