Well the suggestion was just a quick one using binding.  The other way if
you wanted to format the string would be to use the change event on the
text field to trigger a function.

So this (again I haven't got FlexBuilder here, so treat this as pseudocode)

<mx:Script>
    <[CDATA] (Does CDATA look like that?  Dunno never typed it ;) )>

        private function formatName():void
        {
            var formattedString:String = //whatever code you need to do
the formatting.
        }   outputLabel.text = "Welcome to the app " +formattedString;

    </[CDATA]>
</mx:Script>

<mx:Label id="outputLabel"/>

<mx:TextInput id="inputText" change="formatName()"/>

But depending on what your username is, the binding is a bit less code.