Mine works when both SWFs are local, or both are from the server. For local,
however, your main application will have to be in a trusted directory, or
the file itself will need to be trusted, via the Global Security Settings
app:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

Have you done that?

Also, I'm using ModuleBase as the base class for my module (it's a
non-DisplayObject class) instead of Module, and everything is done through
ActionScript rather than MXML, and I don't know what the implications of
that are.