Hi Alex,

    Here's a stack trace.  When you say 'we' do you mean 'we software
engineers at Adobe'?   Who y'all can do something to get 'er fixed up?

captureItemPosition: set myeditedItemPosition r/c=5,12
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null
object reference.
        at
mx.controls::DataGrid/itemEditorItemEditBeginHandler()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\controls\DataGrid.as:4741]
        at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
        at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
        at
mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8323]
        at
mx.controls::DataGrid/commitEditedItemPosition()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\controls\DataGrid.as:3358]
        at
mx.controls::DataGrid/updateDisplayList()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\controls\DataGrid.as:1239]
        at
mx.core::UIComponent/validateDisplayList()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\core\UIComponent.as:5760]
        at
mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:600]
        at
mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:673]
        at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
        at
mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\core\UIComponent.as:7909]
        at
mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\core\UIComponent.as:7852]

And here is the function with line numbers where the things goes awry:

DataGrid.as

Line#4703:    /**
     *  @private
     *  focus an item renderer in the grid - harder than it looks
     */
    private function
itemEditorItemEditBeginHandler(event:DataGridEvent):void
    {
        trace ('jgharris put this here');
        // weak reference for deactivation
        if (stage)
            stage.addEventListener(Event.DEACTIVATE,
deactivateHandler, false, 0, true);

        // if not prevented and if data is not null (might be from
dataservices)
        if (!event.isDefaultPrevented() &&
listItems[actualRowIndex][actualColIndex].data != null)
        {
            createItemEditor(event.columnIndex, event.rowIndex);

            if (editedItemRenderer is IDropInListItemRenderer &&
itemEditorInstance is IDropInListItemRenderer)
                IDropInListItemRenderer(itemEditorInstance).listData =
IDropInListItemRenderer(editedItemRenderer).listData;
            // if rendererIsEditor, don't apply the data as the data
may have already changed in some way.
            // This can happen if clicking on a checkbox
rendererIsEditor as the checkbox will try to change
            // its value as we try to stuff in an old value here.
            if (!columns[event.columnIndex].rendererIsEditor)
                itemEditorInstance.data = editedItemRenderer.data;

            if (itemEditorInstance is IInvalidating)
                IInvalidating(itemEditorInstance).validateNow();

            if (itemEditorInstance is IIMESupport)
                IIMESupport(itemEditorInstance).imeMode =
                    (columns[event.columnIndex].imeMode == null) ?
_imeMode : columns[event.columnIndex].imeMode;

            var fm:IFocusManager = focusManager;
            // trace("setting focus to item editor");
            if (itemEditorInstance is IFocusManagerComponent)
                fm.setFocus(IFocusManagerComponent(itemEditorInstance));
            fm.defaultButtonEnabled = false;

            var event:DataGridEvent =
Line#4741:                new DataGridEvent(DataGridEvent.ITEM_FOCUS_IN);

            event.columnIndex = _editedItemPosition.columnIndex;
            event.rowIndex = _editedItemPosition.rowIndex;
                event.itemRenderer = itemEditorInstance;
            dispatchEvent(event);

It bonks out at:

Line#4741
var event:DataGridEvent =
               new DataGridEvent(DataGridEvent.ITEM_FOCUS_IN);

Hopefully useful to us all.

They say in the real world, 'Money talks and bullsh*t walks.'
They don't say whether it walks away or walks around, though.
I think it's around.

-- John