Have you ever been presented with a tree containing 1000 items?  It is
a horrible experience.

Given that is sounds like you are in the fortunate position to be in a
design phase with your UI then do your users a huge favour and give
them search.  Whatever you do - tree or grid - don't show them 10,000
items, they will not thank you for it and your app will be slow,
unweildy, difficult to code and ultimately unusable.

Remember, most users start to creak when the number of things gets
much above 6.  By the time it is 50 they have lost interest and are
looking for the search button.  Only Rain Man can cope with 1,000
items in a list.

If you feel you must show them all the data at once, then think of a
creative alternative to a list, like a graph/network or Ely's fisheye
component.  After all you have flex at your fingertips, not HTML.  Do
something radical with it.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Luke Vanderfluit