I think we saw a problem similar to this a long time ago on this list.  I
don't think there was a better way than duplicating the source.  However,
depending on your use case you my not need to do a deep copy of the source
array, so you would have multiple arrays that point to the same data so at
least the data isn't duplicated in memory.

Here's the thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/flexcoders@yahoogroups.com/msg73153.html

- Dan Freiman