A timer option may be what you decide, but keep in mind that you can
still control the popup from the application. So, the first click
will always create the popup, but if you don't prevent use of the
parent application while the popup is open (the only way to ever get
a double click without a timer or some delay option), you should be
able to change the image from a thumbnail to a larger size with a
double-click. Take a look at this simple code.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="vertical">
        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        import mx.managers.PopUpManager;
                        import TestPopUp;
                        var myPopup:TestPopUp;

                        private function popUp(click:Number):void{
                                myPopup = TestPopUp
(PopUpManager.createPopUp(this, TestPopUp, false));
                                switch(click){
                                        case 1:

        myPopup.myImage.source = "images/arrowRight.PNG";
                                                break;
                                        case 2:

        myPopup.myImage.source = "images/arrowLeft.PNG";
                                                break;
                ]]>
        </mx:Script>
        <mx:Button label="Click Me" click="popUp(1);"
doubleClickEnabled="true" doubleClick="popUp(2);"/>
</mx:Application>

TestPopUp.mxml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Canvas xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; width="400"
height="300">
        <mx:Image x="174" y="118" id="myImage"/>

</mx:Canvas>