try this. make a calss with some static functions

          public class CommonFunctions
         {

             public function CommonFunctions():void {}
  import mx.formatters.DateFormatter;
  private static var dfconv:DateFormatter = new DateFormatter();

  public static function formatDate(date:Date, format:String):String
           {
                   dfconv.formatString=format;
                return dfconv.format(date);

now you can pass in : *CommonFunctions.formatDate(theDate,"EEEE, MMM. D,
YYYY");*
would output : Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2005

see here for more date formats
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/201/html/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Book_Parts&file=formatters_094_6.html