You can't change the certificate used to sign an app.  It'll have to
be treated as a different application. This is listed somewhere in the
docs, and is covered in my article up at Adobe DevNet on codsigning
your air applications.

But, going forward, you'll be able to use the update functionality of
AIR with your newly signed application.

The user should just uninstall the old one and install the new version
of the application.