So what is the approach to use for non-rectangular borders? If someone has
some good resources for programmatic border skins I'll happily digest them,
I've read anything I can find.

So let's say I've got a VBox and I create a custom skin that tapers the
right side into a point. I extend Border because it's not rectangular in
nature, can I not use this skin with Flex containers? Do I need custom
containers that work with borderSkins that are not rectangular?