Hey David,
AMFPHP right? If I'm not mistaken, navigateToUrl isn't the best way to
go about it. AMFPHP is Remoting...so maybe use it as such? I'd go at
it this way:

Step 1: Create your RemoteObject. Obviously this can be done in AS as
well:
<mx:RemoteObject id="amfphpService" showBusyCursor="true"
destination="amfphp" fault="amfphpFaultHandler(event)"
source="tamarispa.resServ">
   <mx:method name="myAmfMethod"
result="myAmfMethodResultHandler(event)"/>
</mx:RemoteObject>

Step 2: Set your endpoint & do imports
//point to gateway
amfphpServ.endpoint = "http://www.myServer.com/amfphp/gateway.php";;

//do your imports
import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;
import mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent;

Step 3: Make the call
private function callAmfService():void {
  var sendObj:Object = new Object();
  sendObj.name = "me";
  sendObj.greeting = "hello";
  amfphpServ.getOperation("myAmfMethod").send(sendObj);
}

Step 4: Handle the result / fault

You can basically send any info (like the sendObj in above example),
and it's not goint through as URL vars.

If you want more security, you can serialize / deserialize your
objects before you send'em.

good luck...