Well after trying to write a quick example now I'm not so sure. The document
I linked to earlier has this statement:

"A control must define a handler for a dragEnter event to be a drop target."

That leads me to believe every other container in the application would have
to add a dragEnter handler in order for your "drag anywhere" to be
implemented. Each container has to explicitly accept the drop with
DragManager.acceptDragDrop()