If you have

    <Application>

        <MyContainer id="myContainer">

            <MyControl id="myControl"/>

        </myContainer>

    </Application>

then in the Application's <Script> you can simply refer to the
MyContainer instance as myContainer and to the MyControl instance as
myControl (NOT myContainer.myControl).

In MyContainer's <Script> you can refer to the Application instance as
parentDocument or as Application.application.

In MyControls' <Script> you can refer to to the MyContainer instance as
parentDocument and to the Application instance as
parentDocument.parentDocument or as Application.application.

In general, you can access anything from anywhere.

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team