Yes, I did try creating a .adobe directory under $home and creating a
license.properties in it containing the following entry

flexbuilder3=13774xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But this didn't solve the problem.

When I apply the same license of windows box using FlexBuilder3, it works
however it asks for Flex Builder 2 license as well as its a "upgrade"
license.

Do i also need to specify Flex2 license somewhere ?