Are there any definitive examples of best practices for project layout
of libraries and applications, that works well with Flexbuilder, as
well as compc/mxmlc (example command-line arguments would help too).

My latest struggle is with locales. I followed an Adobe example, and
placed locales alongside src, and added

-locale en_US -source-path=../locale/{locale}

to the additional compiler options in FlexBuilder.

My colleague (who is working on the CruiseControl builds, and is new
to Flex) requested that the locales folder be inside the src folder,
and I know that I have had problems in the past with assets outside
the src folder.

So I complied, and changed the options to:

-locale en_US -source-path=locale/{locale}

However, doing it this way, I get a warning from FlexBuilder that a
source path is inside another source path. Removing the compiler
option and checking the checkboxes in the Assets tab didn't work.

Unfortunately, Ant or Maven are not options, as we are integrating with MSBuild.