As per a suggestion from another member of the forum, I have decided
to repost my question with a more descriptive title. Right now I am
currently in the midst of designing an Adobe AIR application which is
basically a new and improved version of legacy software coded in VB6
(I'm using Flex 3). At the moment I'm purely working on the client
side of things and one issue I'll be having to deal with is this:

The old VB6 application was able to accept input from synchronized
PALM devices as well as others, but I want to focus on PALM first.
Now, I've never developed this kind of software before, and I'm even
quite new to Adobe Flex and AIR, having only been using them for the
past few weeks.

That said, I'm having trouble figuring out where to get started, I'm
aware that I need some sort of conduit software, but I don't know
whether I need to code that myself or simply download it. I'm also not
sure where to begin going about setting things up so that the software
I'm working on can listen for when a client scans a barcode and having
the results show up in the application on the desktop.

I'm searching google as well but my "search-fu" is rather weak so
that'll take a while so I have decided to post here in the meantime.
This is by no means time-critical as this is just the beginning of the
project.

Thanks in advance.