In an application i'm currently working on (which is not done in Flex
though - i'm using Flash CS3 and the CS3 UI Components), i subclass the
components and add an "alternativeTextFormat" style.

This way i can set it to display an embedded font that only contains
latin glyphs, and let it automatically switch to an alternative font
(usually unembedded _sans) when one of the characters can't be displayed
due to missing embedded glyphs.

I have this implemented for buttons, labels and cell renderers and it
works like a charm (i'll opensource these soon btw).

In addition i added a new InvalidationType.LOCALE and implemented a
simple AS3 version of gettext, to make switching languages at runtime
almost trivial.

Flash CS3 though as i said, but this should also be doable in Flex i
guess. Flex 3 also comes with improvements in I18N land - i'm not too
much into that but you may want to look into ResourceManager there.

Cheers,
Claus.