Tracy:

I myself ran a Google search, but did not include the search
keywords as you did.

I did see the one I think you are referring to which uses a
separator.  I even looked at the code.

Problem was I did not understand why certain things were done
the way they were.

And as you said, this question has more than one complicated
answer.

Obviously many people find the need to "extend" the existing
Flex components and many are more knowledgeable than others.

It helps me to look at other people's code, analyze it to try
and understand first how they did it and then why they chose to
do it that way.

While there are some "general" docs, articles, blogs, etc. on
extending various components, I have not found any that are
indepth or true step-by-step.

Can you or anyone recommend any sources.

Thanks,

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Spratt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>