yes i did, it still was not right- meant to delete that offsetY variable.

i just put this hack in and it's working well, i'd like to know how this is
supposed to be done- i'm sure dragging from a tree is common, even with
using a custom dragStart function.

// Create a filterItem to use as a drag proxy.
                var dragProxy:filterItem = new filterItem();
                dragProxy.properties = item;
                dragProxy.width = 500;
*                dragProxy.x = event.localX;
                dragProxy.y = event.localY;*
                // Call the DragManager doDrag() method to start the drag.
                DragManager.doDrag(dragInitiator, dragSource, event,
dragProxy);